How to Prevent Varicose Veins
Varicose veins can be a big annoyance for women. That is why it is better to prevent varicose veins than to cure them. But before..
What are varicose veins?
According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute of the United States, varicose veins are inflamed and twisted veins that can be seen under the surface of the skin.
Although they often appear on the legs, where they are most visible, they can also occur elsewhere. In general, their symptoms are pain, heavy legs (feeling of pressure), appearance of more superficial veins, alteration of the darker skin color, redness, itching and dryness.
Why do this appear?
Varicose veins are more common among women than men. According to the experts, it can be two causes: one has to do with the genetic and the other with the habits. By definition varicose veins appear due to a fault in the valves that help blood to rise up the leg and not back down. This is the root cause of varicose veins. By not pumping properly and efficiently, blood accumulates and remains stationary in the veins, increasing venous pressure.
How to prevent varicose veins?
To prevent varicose veins, you have to change your lifestyle. These changes can prevent varicose veins from worsening, reduce pain and delay the formation of more varicose veins. Among them are:
- Avoid standing or sitting for a long time without resting. When you are sitting, avoid crossing the legs and try to keep them elevated.
- Perform physical activity to get your legs moving and improve muscle tone, thus improving your circulation.
- Avoid tight clothing, especially tight clothing at the waist, upper thighs and legs.
- Try to get fit if you are overweight, so your circulation will improve and the pressure that your veins have to endure will decrease.
- Avoid wearing high heels for extended periods.
- Avoid foods that cause fluid retention or dilate veins, such as salt, saturated fats, spicy, snuff, coffee and alcohol.
- Choose to wear compression stockings if your doctor recommends it. The pressure exerted by these socks upwards prevents blood from accumulating and decreases the swelling of the legs.
You may be interested:
How to eliminate varicose veins: Varikosette Cream Review